Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Evening in Arundel

Painting No. 1
Evening in Arundel 10x10

Those of you who have been with me on past trips know that I freak out about the first painting. True to form, I began freaking out as soon as the rain stopped falling, and I knew I'd be painting.

The thing is, all of you have put your faith in me and sent your hard-earned money my way, and I've promised you -directly or indirectly - that I'll be able to paint.

But as painting came to me in a flash, I worry that one day, it will leave me in a similar flash.

I do know that this sort of worry is not valuable, not viable, and, as life and painting continues, less and less realistic. And to be honest, I didn't freak out as much this time as I have on previous trips.

But I did sneak this painting in, moments after arriving at my friends' house in Kennebunk. I thought about waiting until Wednesday morning to paint, but decided to just go at it, in spite of the lateness of the day.

I am relieved!

Rainy Roads

At the end of the day, as I arrived in Connecticut, this is
what I encountered - the typical I-84 delays. Argh. 
Monday was a day of rain and delays. No matter what I did, I couldn't get on track. And in retrospect, I'm grateful for all those maddening delays.

I hadn't had time to get my oil changed or tires rotated before I left home, and these are tasks I take very seriously. So, on the holiday Monday, when I saw a Quick Lane Oil and Lube Center open in Shippensburg, PA, where I'd spent the night,I wheeled in and signed up.

Let us just say that the place is not named well. It should have been called "Slow Lane." It took about 90 minutes to have my oil changed and tires rotated, and I went through most of the stages of grief before ending in acceptance.

At the misnamed place of business I did meet Louisa (right), who shared with me that she is an artist - or was before she had her three kids. We had fun talking about drawing and color and art and light, and she promised me she'd send me pictures of her art.

About five minutes after I set off, I was sent on a detour by my GPS. Turns out, a huge wreck was blocking the highway - and hence, my gratitude. Had I not stopped at the "Quick" Lane, and had it not taken so long, I might have been right in the middle of that wreck.

The days, the rain, the delays continued, but I made it to my brother's house in time for a delicious, late dinner of homemade spaghetti sauce. Yum!

This is what the highway looked like, pretty much all day. In addition to being rainy,
it was also soupy with humidity. Yuck!

When I was detoured from I-81, I saw three signs all overgrown with ivy and weeds. The first read "Put on Your," the second (above) "Right Turn Signal" and the third read "Now."

Saw this somewhere in Pennsylvania. If you know Robert Baron, you could be $10K richer!

A day of rain, and dark clouds, and more rain, the remnants of the latest hurricane.

Dog of the Day
It's one of my favorite dogs, Archie, with one of my favorite people, Molly, my sister-in-law.

A Final Thought

"Autumn... the year's last, loveliest smile."

  • - William Cullen Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment